Wednesday 28 November 2012

Rebecca (1940)

* * *

Believable performances and a wonderfully shot film, however a tedious story. Although it is a strong film the novel it is based on is not interesting (to me) and therefore the prowess of the film is inconsequential.

I am struggling to write a review as the whole narrative pointless; it moves from a (quite juvenile) tale of unrequited love after a whirl-wind marriage to a murder enquiry. I hate a mixing of genres and this seems to go further by placing two separate stories into one. Although Hitchcock manages to develop this story into a 3 star film he still cannot create this mismatch of a narrative into something that appeals to me.
When it had finally ended I was glad because it meant I have watched another of the IMDb top 250 but there is little other motivation for me to have finished it. It was a good film based on a bad book, just because both are classics does not mean everyone will enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment